Take a guided educational tour of Apple Hill Farm, a mountaintop alpaca farm and store near Sugar Mountain. The walking tours let you get up close and personal with the alpacas, llamas, angora goats, guardian donkeys, pigs, chickens and other animals.
Begin your tour at the Barn with convenient parking. A guide takes you on a walking tour (about a tenth of a mile) that loops you around the center of the working farm. The fascinating tour lasts about 45 minutes and includes times for a little petting and feeding the friendly animals.
While you see many different farm animals, the alpaca are the most fascinating to learn about – along with their guardian llamas. Alpaca fiber is hollow core and soft-to-the touch, keeping you warm when you are outside but not hot when you come inside. The socks keep your feet dry and warm in the winter and wicks moisture away in the summer. Alpaca is hypo-allergenic too!
End your tour with a visit to the store with alpaca yarn, socks, gloves, hats and more. Plus, pick up their honey and a variety of jams and gift items. Despite their name, they are NOT an apple farm.
Apple Hill Farm Tour Tips
- Apple Hill Farm is located 8 miles from the Sugar Mountain main entrance. Allow 20 minutes to drive the curvy roads, and arrive 10 minutes before tour time.
- GPS address: 400 Apple Hill Rd, Banner Elk, NC 28604 – Find it on Google Maps.
- Reservations are required.
- Tickets: Adults (11-54) $17, Seniors $15, Children $12
- They are open year-round, weather permitting. They are located at 4,300 feet elevation, so they often get snow when lower elevations do not.
- No pets allowed on the tour.
- No picnics.
- Tours are rain or shine.
- Advance reservations required.
For more info and make reservations, go to their website.
See more Things to Do in and near Sugar Mountain.