Find amazing places to stay near the ski slopes, golf course and the many attractions near the Village of Sugar Mountain – near Grandfather Mountain, Banner Elk and Boone! With a world-class ski resort, public golf and tennis club, mountain biking trails and more, our mile-high town features vacation home rentals, log cabins and condos of all sizes. Stay in a convenient vacation rental near the ski slopes. You won’t find cookie-cutter chain hotels here. While we are high in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you’ll find plenty of conveniences at the base of the mountain – including restaurants, shops, attractions and the all-important grocery stores for stocking your kitchen for the week-long family trips! See tips below.
Top 5 Sugar Mountain Lodging: Vacation Rentals, Cabins & Condos near Ski Slopes
Resort Real Estate & Rentals at Sugar Mountain
As the oldest family owned rental company on Sugar Mountain, they offer everything from efficiencies to six-bedroom homes. All 100+ of their vacation rentals are privately owned and fully equipped, making you feel right at home. Find options in many of the communities on Sugar Mountain including Sugar Top and condos near the ski slopes and golf course. Go to their website.
Sugar Ski & Country Club
This year-round condominium resort is located near the summit of Sugar Mountain with plenty of mountain views. During the winter, it’s the area’s only true ski in / ski out lodging option. Choose from a cozy efficiency unit for two with a great view loft, one bedroom or two bedroom / two bath condo rental that sleeps up to six people. At an elevation of 4,900 feet, summers are cool with tennis and hiking. 4-wheel drive or chains are required when snowing! Ask about ski specials and packages. Go to their website.
The Highlands at Sugar
This resort community situated at 4,500 feet elevation has spectacular mountain views. Located about a mile above the ski lodge, they feature one and two bedroom condo units with fully equipped kitchens, wet bars, stone fireplaces, wi-fi and balconies. On-site amenities include an enclosed heated pool, European-style hot tub, Redwood sauna, exercise room and recreation center. Go to their website.
Sugar Mountain Lodging
With a large variety of properties on Sugar Mountain and in Banner Elk, this family-owned company has something for everyone! From the SugarTop condos to cozy units by the golf course, all the way down the road to the Lodges at Elkmont, you are sure to find something to fit your needs and budget. Go to their website.
Vacasa Vacation Rentals at Sugar Mountain
Choose from 180+ spacious, fully furnished homes, condos with big views and getaway cabins. Perched on the mountain tops (Sugar has two!), nestled in wooded hollows, set by the ski slopes, tennis courts or the golf course. All are privately owned and offer the perfect place to call “home” during your stay at Sugar. Go to their Website.
Tips for Places to Stay on Sugar Mountain
Planning for the perfect vacation for you and your family on Sugar Mountain? Here are some helpful lodging and village tips:
- All overnight accommodations on the mountain are vacation rentals and condos (no generic hotels). Most are individually owned, so they all have different amenities and features.
- Nearby towns include Banner Elk (2.5 miles), Linville (6 miles), Boone (15 miles), Blowing Rock (15 miles).
- If you want panoramic views, look at condos higher on the mountain. For convenience to winter skiing or summer golf, book lower on the mountain.
- Sugar Mountain has two main roads from NC Highway 194 that climb two separate ridges on each side of our ski slopes. Grouse Moor Drive takes you 2.3 miles up to the Sugar Top Condos, Sugar Ski & Country Club and The Reserve. Sugar Mountain Drive begins at the main entrance and goes 2.2 miles by the golf course, tennis courts, Sugar Mountain Resort (ski lodge, tubing, ice skating) and ends at the Highlands Resort. See our Illustrated Sugar Mtn Map with condo community locations.
- Groceries: Staying on Sugar Mountain offers many conveniences, including two large grocery stores in the village – a big deal for small towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains. See our Shopping Guide for many more places to buy essentials.
Food Lion, 3555 Tynecastle Hwy, Banner Elk, NC 28604 (half mile from Sugar Mountain main entrance)
Lowes Food, 4000 NC-105 S, Banner Elk, NC 28604 (about a mile from Grouse Moor entrance)
- Liquor & Spirits: Need to stock up for evening cocktails or a morning Bloody Mary? Our ABC Store (4004 Hwy. 105, Banner Elk) is located in the Grandfather Center in front of Lowes Food. Find a big selection of bourbon, whisky, vodka, gin, rum and more.
- Getting to the Ski Resort: The ski lodge is located at 1009 Sugar Mountain Road. They have plenty of free parking – including a free shuttle from remote lots. The busiest days on the slopes are Saturdays and holidays. On peak weekends, a free Village Ski Shuttle also runs to 14 stops on the mountain with pick-up locations at all condo communities. See our Ski Resort Guide.
- During the winter months, four wheel drive is highly recommended (and sometimes required) higher on the mountain. If you don’t have all wheel drive, there are many rentals near the ski lodge. Roads are kept very clear of snow from the highway to the lodge area. See winter driving tips.
- Please protect our wildlife, especially our deer and bear, by not feeding them. Read more.
- Food Delivery & Pick-Up: Don’t feel like cooking? See restaurant guide for many options!
- For trash collection, most condo communities have a garbage collection area. For rental homes, take your trash to the convenience center by the Village Hall (266 Norwood Hollow Rd). Do not leave trash outside in a non-bear proof canister! Read more about trash collection.
- Find many things to do in just a 20-mile radius of Sugar Mountain – including Grandfather Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, Boone and Blowing Rock. See our Things to Do master list!
- RVs and campers are on allowed on the mountain. Read more and find nearby campgrounds.