Find some amazing places to stay in the Village of Sugar Mountain – near Grandfather Mountain and Banner Elk! With a world-class ski resort, public golf and tennis club, mountain biking trails and more, our mile-high town features vacation home rentals, log cabins and condos of all sizes. You won’t find cookie-cutter chain hotels here. While we are high in the Blue Ridge Mountains, you’ll find plenty of conveniences at the base of the mountain – including restaurants, shops, attractions and the all-important grocery stores for stocking your kitchen for the week-long family trips! See tips below.
Sugar Mountain Top Lodging: Vacation Rentals, Cabins & Condos
Tips for Staying on Sugar Mountain
Planning for the perfect vacation for you and your family on Sugar Mountain? Here are some helpful lodging and village tips:
- All overnight accommodations on the mountain are vacation rentals and condos (no generic hotels). Most are individually owned, so they all have different amenities and features.
- If you want panoramic views, look at condos higher on the mountain. For convenience to winter skiing or summer golf, book lower on the mountain.
- Sugar Mountain has two main roads from NC Highway 194 that climb two separate ridges on each side of our ski slopes. Grouse Moor Drive takes you 2.3 miles up to the Sugar Top Condos, Sugar Ski & Country Club and The Reserve. Sugar Mountain Drive begins at the main entrance and goes 2.2 miles by the golf course, tennis courts, Sugar Mountain Resort (ski lodge, tubing, ice skating) and ends at the Highlands Resort.
- Groceries: Staying on Sugar Mountain offers many conveniences, including two large grocery stores in the village – a big deal for small towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains. See our Shopping Guide for many more places to buy essentials.
Food Lion, 3555 Tynecastle Hwy, Banner Elk, NC 28604 (half mile from Sugar Mountain main entrance)
Lowes Food, 4000 NC-105 S, Banner Elk, NC 28604 (about a mile from Grouse Moor entrance)
- Liquor & Spirits: Need to stock up for evening cocktails or a morning Bloody Mary? Our ABC Store (4004 Hwy. 105, Banner Elk) is located in the Grandfather Center in front of Lowes Food. Find a big selection of bourbon, whisky, vodka, gin, rum and more.
- Getting to the Ski Resort: The ski lodge is located at 1009 Sugar Mountain Road. They have plenty of free parking – including a free shuttle from remote lots. The busiest days on the slopes are Saturdays and holidays. On peak weekends, a free bus also runs through the Village with many pick-up locations. See our Ski Resort Guide.
- During the winter months, four wheel drive is highly recommended (and sometimes required) higher on the mountain. If you don’t have all wheel drive, there are many rentals near the ski lodge. Roads are kept very clear of snow from the highway to the lodge area.
- Food Delivery & Pick-Up: Don’t feel like cooking? See restaurant guide for many options!
- Find many things to do in just a 20-mile radius of Sugar Mountain – including Grandfather Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, Banner Elk, Beech Mountain, Boone and Blowing Rock. See our Things to Do master list!
- RVs and campers are on allowed on the mountain. Read more and find nearby campgrounds.