Opens for season: April 20, 2022
Click to Reserve Tee Time (2 weeks out) | Phone: 828.898.6464
Voted the #2 Short Course in the USA, the Ole Esval Sugar Mountain Public Golf Course may be the best kept secret in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Located near Boone, Banner Elk and the Blue Ridge Parkway, the 18-hole public course is the “Every Player’s Club” in a region home to premiere private country club communities. The fabulous short course opened for play in 1974, the design of Frank Duane, previously the senior project manager for more than two decades for Robert Trent Jones, the undisputed dean of golf course architecture.
The par-64 layout maximizes every mountain view, babbling brook, and rhododendron forest on the 60-acre site. The course features nine par threes, eight par fours, and a single par five. At an elevation of 4,000 feet, the course features immaculate putting surfaces, hailed by those who play here as second to none. Did we mention the cool summer temperatures with typical afternoon highs in the 60s and 70s? Before or after your game, unwind on the big outdoor deck with lunch and snacks at the Caddyshack Cafe.
1054 Sugar Mountain Dr, Sugar Mountain, NC 28604 | Open 7 days, 8 AM-5:30 PM
Phone: 828.898.6464 | Reserve Tee Time Online | Follow us on Facebook
Golf Advisor Review Awards: Voted Top 10 Courses in NC (2019 #9) & Top 25 Short Courses in the U.S. (2019 #2)
Low Season Rates (April 20-May 12, 2022 and Oct 1-31, 2022)
Click to Reserve Tee Time
18 Holes: $25 green fee, $20 cart fee: Total $45
9 Holes: $20 green fee, $13 cart fee: Total $33
After 3 PM: $20 green fee, $13 cart fee: Total $33
High Season Rates (May 13-Sept 30, 2022)
Click to Reserve Tee Time
18 Holes: $35 green fee, $20 cart fee: Total $55
9 Holes: $25 green fee, $13 cart fee: Total $38
After 4 PM: $22 green fee, $13 cart fee – Total $35
This annual membership permits the player to walk at no additional charge or pay a cart fee of $20/player for 18 holes or $15/player for 9 holes.
Village Property Owner: Individual $645 | Couple $795
Non Village Property Owner: Individual $695 | Couple $895
Gift cards are now available! Purchase in-person at the Golf Shop or call 828.898.6464. They are fantastic presents for holidays such as Father’s Day, birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas.
$50 This one-time fee is a riding pass only for permanent residents of Avery, Ashe, Watauga, Mitchell and Carter County Tennessee. It allows the player to pay a rate of:
Low Season-(April 20-May 12, 2022 and October 1-October 31, 2022)
18 Holes: $20 green fee, $15 cart fee -Total $35
9 Holes: $17 green fee $11 cart fee- Total $28
After 2 PM: $15 green fee, $10 cart fee – Total $25
High Season- (May 13-September 30, 2022)
18 Holes: $25 green fee, $20 cart fee – Total $45
9 Holes: $22 green fee, $13 cart fee – Total $35
After 2 PM: $18 green fee, $12 cart fee – Total $30
While weather prediction is challenging on our mountain, click here for Ray’s Weather, our best local forecast for the village. Summer highs seldom top 80 degrees at our elevation, rain showers sometimes pop up quickly. Bring a jacket for refreshing mornings and evenings.
Tee Time Policy
All players are encouraged to create a foursome when possible. Customers who book less than a foursome are subject to be paired up to create a foursome. Customers may book tee times no more than 14 days in advance.
Rain Check/Inclement Weather Policy
- The Golf Course Manager or his/her designee is responsible for decisions concerning temporary or all day closing of the golf course. Rain checks will be issued to those guests who are unable to complete their round due to inclement weather or the closure of the golf course due to unsafe conditions. The value of the rain check is pro-rated based on the rate the guest paid to play and the number of holes completed that day.
- When lightning is present, the golfer play at their own risk; The Village of Sugar Mountain is not liable for any injuries due to inclement weather.
- Rain checks are only valid for green fees and cart fees. Rain checks have no cash value. You must provide proof of payment in order to receive a rain check. Rain checks will expire 1 year from the Issue date. Rain checks are non-transferable and non-replaceable. Rain checks may only be used at the course issued. Rain checks are one time use only.
Frost Delay Policy
Following the delay, tee times will proceed at the original scheduled order of play that day from when play begins. Groups not present at appointed time become standby players only.
Dress Code Policy
Proper golf attire (Collared shirt, no jeans) is preferred but not mandatory. Absolutely no tank tops or cut offs are allowed. Metal spikes are prohibited on the golf course and practice areas.
Rental Cart Policy
- Operators of rental motor golf carts must be 18 years of age and have a valid driver’s license. Maximum of 2 club sets and 2 riders per cart. 2 single riders in a group is not permitted. Operators must obey cart signs and rules or they will be asked to leave the premises with no refund.
- Carts must be kept (30’) away from greens and tees, and at least (10’) away from bunkers/traps, when not on cart paths.
- You further acknowledge that the golf cart is leased by, the Village of Sugar Mountain Golf Course to you for the use and purpose for which it was manufactured.
- You shall reimburse the Village of Sugar Mountain, upon demand for the loss of, or any damage to the golf cart or property damage while it is rented to you and for all costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fee, incurred by the the Village of Sugar Mountains in collecting and amounts owing by you hereunder or in otherwise enforcing the Village of Sugar Mountain’ rights hereunder.
Common golf etiquette is required at all times. This etiquette bars the throwing of clubs, running or jumping on greens, carrying golf bags onto the greens, pulling of handcarts onto the greens or aprons of greens, and the reckless operation of a golf cart. This etiquette also requires the caring for the golf course grounds by replacing divots, raking bunkers and repairing ball marks on the greens.
Pace of Play Policy
Golfers must maintain their position behind the group in front of them. The maximum allotted time to play 18 holes is 4 hours and 20 minutes. If your group is out of position, you will be given the following warnings:
- 1st Warning: If your group falls out of position, you will be asked to re-establish your starting position.
- 2nd Warning: If your group fails to re-establish its starting position in 30 minutes, you will be asked to pick up and move up to the group in front of you.
- 3rd Warning: If you are unable to maintain this position, as a courtesy to your fellow golfers, your group will be asked to leave the course without refund.
Players are responsible for any property damage or personal injury resulting from their own play Golfers are responsible for any injuries or damages resulting from their play.
All play must start on #1. Player’s must not start on #10 without the permission of the pro shop staff. Players must follow common golf etiquette and not be a disturbance for others on the golf course.
Golf Tournaments & Events
September 10 & 11, 2022: Sugar Mountain Golf Classic Tournament (click to read more)