Picnic by a roadside waterfall! This small public park in nearby Newland features multiple cascades that create a 50-foot waterfall. It’s 11 miles from Sugar Mountain. Find several picnic tables and a footbridge in front of the lower cascades. There are many nearby restaurants to grab food-to-go!
Take a short trail to the left of the cascades uphill for another picnic table and more viewpoints of the cascades. The Waterfalls Park (also named Bobby McLean Memorial Park) has parking for several cars. It’s easy to find since it is across the street from Dollar General (871 Cranberry St, Newland).
Downtown Newland (the highest county seat in Eastern USA!) has several great local restaurants (including Kaye’s Kitchen, Carolina BBQ, San Dee’s), Three Nails old-fashioned hardware store, fantastic antique / vintage store (Back Alley Pickers) and other locally owned shops.
Directions from Sugar Mountain
- From the front entrance, turn right onto NC Highway 184.
- At the stoplight, turn right onto NC 105 South
- Go 4 miles to the stoplight for US 221. Turn right.
- Go straight for 4 miles – following signs for NC 181 North.
- In downtown Newland at stoplight, turn right onto Linville Street NC 194.
- Go 1 mile to Waterfalls Park on the right.
For more outdoor adventures, see our Guide to Hikes and Waterfalls.