Stroll around Bass Lake at Moses Cone Memorial Park, which is located along our Blue Ridge Parkway Scenic Loop Drive from Sugar Mountain. The 8/10 of a mile loop around the lake is level and easy – perfect for all fitness levels, small children and those looking for a scenic stroll. It’s unpaved but suitable for most wheelchairs and strollers. Find lakeside spots for picnics. Dogs are welcomed on a leash.
Since Moses Cone Park has a 25-mile network of trails, you will find many options to extend your hike including a 4.5-mile loop that takes you by both the lake and the historic manor house. As you circle the lake, you will see signs for trails that make a loop uphill to the house. Near the dam, walk up Deer Park Road and back down Duncan Road to return to the parking area. See trail map below.
Bass Lake a nice option for a winter hike – and perfect for cross country skiing when there is snow. No bikes or horses are allowed on this trail. Find restrooms at the parking area.
As you are walking around the lake, look up at the view of the historic Cone Manor. You can park by the Manor House (entrance off the Blue Ridge Parkway) for a longer hike option.
The Bass Lake parking area is about a mile off the Blue Ridge Parkway on US 221 near Blowing Rock. Find it on Google Maps. It’s about 15 miles from Sugar Mountain.
- From the main entrance of Sugar Mountain, turn right onto NC 184 South and go 1.5 miles to the stoplight.
- At the stoplight for NC 105, turn left and drive north for 6.4 miles.
- Turn right onto Shulls Mill Road and drive 5.7 miles (paved but curvy) to the Blue Ridge Parkway crossing.
- Instead of getting on the Parkway, follow signs for US 221 North.
- Go about a mile and look for the Bass Lake Parking sign on the left.
- Note: To reach the Manor House parking area, go North on the Parkway for a half mile.
Go to our Moses Cone Park Guide for more information. Also see the trail guide for nearby Flat Top Mountain Hike.
Moses Cone Park Trail Map
Stay on Sugar Mountain
See our Places to Stay Guide for the best vacation rentals on our mountain – a perfect basecamp for exploring the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.