The Village of Sugar Mountain high in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina has welcomed generations of visitors. They enjoy the summer cool breezes, fresh mountain air, and plenty of space to explore outdoors. So we are a natural for a “safecation” with family and friends during the social distancing times of the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic.
Known for our ski slopes in the winter, our small town offers plenty of four-season fun with so many things to do on and nearby our mountain. During the summer, our high temperatures rarely get above 75 degrees – usually about 15 degrees cooler than just an hour away in the Piedmont. Since the elevation within our village ranges from 4100 to 5300 feet, temperatures can be an additional 5 degrees cooler up top.
Your stay at Sugar Mountain will be all about convenience too! It’s a short drive to plenty of local restaurants, shops, galleries, groceries stores and many attractions. Within just a 20-mile drive of Sugar Mountain, the list of things to do is mind boggling. Sugar Mountain makes the perfect base camp for High County adventures.
Top 10 Social Distancing Things to Do
- Vacation Rentals: Since all the overnight accommodations on Sugar Mountain are rental homes and condos, you won’t find crowded resorts or chain hotels. Pick the style and size perfect for your dream getaway – from a cozy cabin for 2 to a big house for family gatherings. Many have balconies or porches with breathtaking views, so you may want to stay there the entire time. See our Sugar Mountain rental companies that are following stringent cleaning and sanitation standards.
- Golf & Tennis: Our beautiful public golf course and tennis club are open to all.
- Bike Park & Scenic Lift Rides: Our slopes host a network of exhilarating mountain bike trails. The ski lifts are open for scenic rides to the top for a view or short hike to the peak (photo above).
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Drive one of America’s favorite roads for spectacular views, overlooks, picnic tables, lakes and trails to experience nature. We also have many country roads to really escape! See our Parkway Loop Drive Guide.
- Wineries: Find three wineries in our area – Banner Elk, Grandfather and Linville Falls. Each has beautiful outdoor settings with local vintages to sample, often paired with live music. See our Winery Guide.
- Hikes & Waterfalls: Since we are surrounded by Pisgah National Forest, find some of the best trails and falls in the North Carolina mountains. For just one idea, see our recent hiking guide to Flat Top Mountain and Beacon Heights. More waterfall and hiking guides coming soon!
- Rivers & Lakes: Book a whitewater trip with High Mountain Adventures at the base of the mountain or take a dip in a mountain swimming hole. Canoe on Price Lake on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Art & Shopping: Of course, you won’t find big box stores here. Find many galleries and local boutiques to browse in Sugar Mountain, next door Banner Elk. Nearby Valle Crucis is home to the famous Mast General Store.
- Picnic: Bring a blanket or camp chairs with you to take advantage of epic picnicking spots on the mountaintop, by a waterfall or an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take a picnic on the lift to the Sugar summit or to a winery. Get take out from one of our restaurants.
- Outdoor Dining: Since our summers are cool, find plenty of outdoor seating at our restaurants. Find dozens of choices within 10 minutes of your vacation rental. See our Restaurant Guide.