The mile-high Village of Sugar Mountain in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina is a four season resort town – and a natural place to go for social distancing. During the autumn and winter months, visitors enjoy the brilliant fall foliage color show, winter snow sports, fresh mountain air, and plenty of space to explore outdoors. So we are a natural for a “safecation” with family and friends during the social distancing times of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Your stay at Sugar Mountain is all about convenience too! It’s a short drive to plenty of local restaurants, shops, galleries, groceries stores and many attractions. We are surrounded by Pisgah National Forest and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Within just a 20-mile drive of Sugar Mountain, the list of things to do is mind boggling.
Please remember: Wear a cloth face covering. Wait 6 feet apart from others. Wash your hands.
Top 10 Things to Do with Social Distancing: Fall & Winter
- Fall Color: Thanks to our high elevation (Sugar’s summit is 5,236 feet), find the first fall colors in our High Country. Watch the brilliant color show as you drive, hike or gaze from your vacation rental home or condo on the mountain. See our Fall Forecast & Things to Do.
- Vacation Rentals: Since all the overnight accommodations on Sugar Mountain are rental homes and condos, you won’t find crowded resorts or chain hotels. Pick the style and size perfect for your dream getaway – from a cozy cabin for 2 to a big house for family gatherings. Many have balconies or porches with breathtaking views, so you may want to stay there the entire time. See our Sugar Mountain rental companies that are following stringent cleaning and sanitation standards.
- Winter Sports: Explore the largest ski area and the largest vertical drop (1,200 feet) in the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains. With skiing, snowboarding, tubing, ice skating and snowshoeing, find fun for the entire family. Plan ahead: Go to our Ski Resort Insiders Guide.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Drive one of America’s favorite roads for spectacular views, overlooks, picnic tables, lakes and trails to experience nature. We also have many country roads to really escape! See our Parkway Loop Drive Guide.
- Wineries: Find three wineries in our area – Banner Elk, Grandfather and Linville Falls. Each has beautiful outdoor settings with local vintages to sample, often paired with live music. See our Winery Guide.
- Hikes & Waterfalls: Since we are surrounded by Pisgah National Forest, find some of the best trails and falls in the North Carolina mountains. See our Top 16 Hikes & Waterfalls. Our top place for wide hiking trails for easy social distancing is Moses Cone Park.
- Grandfather Mountain: Drive to the top, walk across the famous Swinging Bridge, see the animals and walk the rugged peaks. Advance time reservations are now required so there is plenty of space outdoors for all. See our Grandfather Mountain Guide.
- Dining Out: Find plenty of outdoor seating at our restaurants and indoor dining rooms spaced for reduced capacity. Find dozens of choices within 10 minutes of your vacation rental. Many offer reservations. See our Restaurant Guide.
- Golf & Tennis: Our beautiful and highly rated public golf course and tennis club are open to all through October.
- Bike Park & Scenic Lift Rides: Our slopes host a network of exhilarating mountain bike trails for the middle two weekends of October. The ski lifts open for scenic rides to the top for panoramic views.
Tips: Make reservations well in advance to get the perfect place to stay. Weekends are always the busiest, so visit midweek if possible.