Our mile-high Village of Sugar Mountain (elevation 5,300 ft) in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina is a four season vacationland – and a natural place to get away for social distancing. Enjoy an outdoors wonderland with winter and summer sports, fresh mountain air, cozy vacation rentals, fall colors and plenty of options to get away from crowds.
Your sweet stay at Sugar Mountain is all about convenience too! It’s a short drive to plenty of local restaurants, shops, galleries, groceries stores and many attractions. We are surrounded by Pisgah National Forest, Grandfather Mountain and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Within just a 20-mile drive of Sugar Mountain, the list of things to do is mind boggling.
Top 15 Things to Do with Social Distancing
- Public Golf: The Sugar Mountain Golf Club is voted the number two short course in the USA. Enjoy our cool summer breezes with temperatures that rarely top 80 degrees. Read about our Golf Club.
- Public Tennis: Our village-owned tennis club feature Har-tru clay courts and lessons with a pro. Read about our Tennis.
- Vacation Rentals: Since all the overnight accommodations on Sugar Mountain are rental homes and condos, you won’t find crowded resorts or chain hotels. Pick the style and size perfect for your dream getaway – from a cozy cabin for 2 to a big house for family gatherings. Many have balconies or porches with breathtaking views, so you may want to stay there the entire time. See our Sugar Mountain rental companies that are following stringent cleaning and sanitation standards.
- Ski & Snowboard: Each winter, explore the largest ski area and the largest vertical drop (1,200 feet) in the North Carolina Blue Ridge Mountains. Visit midweek for ski specials and smaller crowds. Plan ahead: Go to our Ski Resort Guide.
- Snow Tubing: Located across from the ski lodge, it’s easy fun for all ages! Read more.
- Ice Skating: Located by the snow tubing, glide around our 10,000 ft rink. Read more.
- Bike Park: Open on many summer and fall weekends, the ski slopes become homes to thrilling trails for downhill mountain biking. Read more.
- Scenic Lift Rides: Ride the chairlift up to the summit of Sugar Mountain for panoramic views. Runs many summer and fall weekends. Take a picnic! Read more.
- Blue Ridge Parkway: Drive one of America’s favorite roads for spectacular views, with many overlooks, picnic areas and trails along the way. Since sections closes frequently in the winter for snow or icy spots, you can also hike or snowshoe there. See our Parkway Loop Drive Guide.
- Wineries: Find three wineries in our area – Banner Elk, Grandfather and Linville Falls. Each has beautiful outdoor settings for relaxation while sampling local vintages. See our Winery Guide.
- Hikes & Waterfalls: Since we are surrounded by Pisgah National Forest, find plenty of hiking trails and waterfalls. See our Top Hikes & Waterfalls. Our favorite place for wide hiking trails for easy social distancing is Moses Cone Park.
- Snowy Strolls: Our mountain has many quiet streets perfect for an short stroll, especially when it’s cold outside. Just avoid our three busier streets – Sugar Mtn Drive, Grouse Moor and Cross Park. Or walk the greenway in Banner Elk – they usually get less snow than us.
- Grandfather Mountain: Drive to the top, walk across the famous Swinging Bridge, see the animals and walk the rugged peaks. They closed during winter weather events, so check ahead. Advance time reservations are now required so there is plenty of space outdoors for all. See our Grandfather Mountain Guide.
- Dining Out: Find plenty of outdoor seating at our restaurants on good weather days and indoor dining rooms spaced for reduced capacity. Find dozens of choices within 10 minutes of your vacation rental. Many offer reservations. See our Restaurant Guide.
- Outdoor Festivals: Since our major events are all outside, it’s easy to social distance. See our Festival Calendar.
Tips: Make reservations well in advance to get the perfect place to stay. Weekends and holiday periods are always the busiest, so visit midweek if possible.